Congratulations expecting moms and dads! Soon, you’ll have a new bundle of joy in the family. Adding a baby to the family is one of life’s biggest, most rewarding milestones, but it can easily become overwhelming when you realize how many products this small human needs on a day-to-day basis. And it can get expensive, too.
Fortunately, many first-time parents benefit from relatives and friends giving baby shower gifts before the arrival of their first baby. But, you might be wondering, if there are other ways to get free baby stuff.
Fortunately, there are several other ways to snag free baby samples and some possibilities for free clothes, toys, baby equipment, etc. Here’s our guide to getting more free baby-related items for your newborn.
1. Create a Baby Registry
Creating a baby registry is one of the easiest ways to earn free baby stuff and samples. This is especially helpful since, as a first-time parent, you don’t know what products work best or which brands will work best with your baby. An assortment of free samples through a registry can be the best way to figure that out.
There are countless retailers and websites you can use to create a baby registry. Each registry comes with its own perks.
Popular baby registry sites include:
- Target — You can get a year of exclusive deals via Target Circle app and a 15% off registry coupon eight weeks before your due date. Target’s registry also offers free registry returns for up to one year and a free welcome kit ($100 value) that you can pick up at guest services after creating a registry.
- Amazon — Amazon’s baby registry comes with a free surprise welcome box for parents and a universal registry that allows you to add any item from any site (as if Amazon doesn’t already have everything you need). You also get 20% savings on eligible diapers for up to a year and a completion discount for any items left in the registry (non-members get 10% off while Prime members get 15% off). Returns are also free 365 days of the year.
- Walmart — Expecting parents can receive a complimentary welcome box from Walmart when you create a registry. Returns are free and easy, and Walmart has an incredible selection of products for your baby.
- Pottery Barn Kids — When you sign up for Pottery Barn Kids’ baby registry, you’ll get a 20% off your remaining registry items and free nursery design and registry services to help bring your nursery vision to life. Products sold by Pottery Barn Kids are of exceptional quality, and ensured to be safe for your newborn. You also get the ability to add items from Potter Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, West Elm, and William Sonoma.
- Buy Buy Baby — With this registry, you can add gifts from any website, and enjoy a 15% discount on remaining registry items after completion of your baby registry. There are also freebies that include samples, coupons and a copy of a Baby Registry Guide for parents. If you refer another parent who creates their own registry, you’ll get a $25 off $100 purchase.
- Babylist — Sign up for Babylist and get a free Baby Box full of useful goodies for your baby. Add anything from any store to your registry, and you also get a 15% discount on registry items sold on Babylist.com.
Slick Tip: No one said you are limited to just one registry. Creating multiple registries is a great way to earn more discounts and free samples. Registries can always be made private so it’s not searchable in any database. Create a public registry for your baby showers and private ones for labor and delivery necessities, store-specific favorites, or educational materials for mom and dad.
2. Search Facebook Marketplace
Facebook Marketplace can be an excellent place to find free baby stuff. You can either type in your location and select the “free stuff” filter or search for baby-specific products you’re looking for, scrolling to see if anyone is offering that item for free.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for listed for free, you may be able to trade some of your own gently-used goods for the item they’re trying to sell. It’s worth asking, at least.
3. Sign Up for Freebies
Believe it or not, there are websites that give you free baby products for little or nothing in return. Want to try a certain brand of formula, diapers, or wipes? You might be able to receive free samples if you browse the internet for it.
Here are some of the best freebies we know about.
- Enfamil — Join Enfamil Family Beginnings to get up to $400 worth of coupons, formula samples, and more.
- Similac — Sign up for Similac Rewards to receive up to $400 worth of coupons and formula samples.
- Vitafol — Complete the form and receive a free Vitafol prenatal vitamin sample.
- Exederm — Fill out the form to receive free Exederm samples for your baby’s sensitive skin.
- Munchkin Baby Products — Sign up to review Munchkin baby products and you will receive those products free of charge.
- Huggies Diapers — Join Huggies Rewards to earn discounts on brand-name diapers so you don’t overpay for diapers.
- Cuties Diapers — Simply provide your email address for a free sample of Cuties Diapers.
- Aeroflow Breast Pump — Provide your health insurance information for a free Aeroflow Breast Pump.
- Parent Magazine — Sign up for a free, two-year subscription to Parent Magazine.
You can also set up a deal alert for your favorite baby products, brands, or stores so you never miss out on the chance to save some money.
4. Swap Baby Stuff with a Friend
Have a friend going through the same baby phase of life as you? Set up a play date with your little ones and agree to swap some clothes and toys for theirs. This is a great way to introduce new outfits and toys to your baby without having to buy them all. Once your child has outgrown the clothes or is uninterested in the toys, schedule another swap.
Better yet, if you have a friend who previously had children and doesn’t plan to have any more, you may be lucky enough to score lots of their hand-me-downs free of charge. And that is a friend worth holding onto!
5. Ask Your Doctor or Hospital for Free Samples
This might surprise you, but when you give birth in a hospital, they may sometimes send you home with an armful of freebies. That’s right. Before you head home with your newborn, the hospital may provide you free samples and products to help ease your adjustment to parenting life.
Free items can include:
- Mesh panties
- Feminine pads
- A peri bottle
- Skin numbing spray
- Witch hazel pads
- Extra breast pump parts
- A hat
- Receiving blanket
- Nasal aspirator
- Baby shampoo and lotion
- Formula samples
Don’t be afraid to ask for any samples. The least they can say is no.
Preparing for Parenthood
While preparing for parenthood can be overwhelming and expensive, you can make it less so by taking advantage of these easy ways to earn free baby stuff.
Whether you create a registry or two, browse Facebook Marketplace, sign up for free samples, swap with a friend, or help yourself to the many products your hospital offers, it’s a great start to trying different baby product brands you may grow to love.
- Where To Buy Cheap Kids Clothes
- Are You Paying Too Much for Diapers?
- How To Get a Free Sam’s Club Membership