Advertiser Disclosure: At Slickdeals, we work hard to find the best deals. Some products in our articles are from partners who may provide us with compensation, but this doesn’t change our opinions. Our editors strive to ensure that the information in this article is accurate as of the date published, but please keep in mind that offers can change. We encourage you to verify all terms and conditions of any product before you apply.Reading Time: 7 minutes
Over the past two years, the roller skating trend has seemingly exploded with groups of stir-crazy people of all ages adopting the hobby as a safe way to spend time outdoors safely during the pandemic. Whether you’re an adult newbie — inspired by your favorite skating TikToks —and looking to join in on the fun, or if you just want to upgrade roller skates you already own, skating is even cooler than it was in yesteryear.
Today’s best roller skates are the perfect combination of supportive, comfortable, and irresistible retro aesthetic and it’s looking like this summer is finally the time to invest in a pair of roller skates.
Getting started with roller skating can seem like a daunting task. A quick Google search pulls up hundreds of different styles and brands to sift through — not to mention accessories, modifications and gear. If you’re wondering whether you should invest in an expensive pair, or find the best bang for your buck, we’ve got you covered. We’re going to walk you through the beginning of your roller-skating journey and share our best roller-skating deals to get you on the road.
@pfskatingcenter Is our acting valid? 🧐 #skatetok #letsgo #757 #rollerskating #fyp ♬ love nwantiti (feat. Dj Yo! & AX’EL) [Remix] – CKay
What Are the Different Types of Roller Skates?
Let’s start with looking at the different types of skates you might be interested in purchasing to kick-start your 4-wheeled journey. For those ready to start their cruising journey, it’s important that you pick a pair of skates that’ll keep your legs supported and stay comfy while you cruise for hours.
There are two main types of roller skates that you can choose from:
1. Inline Skates (Rollerblading)
Inline skates come with two-to-five wheels in a singular line and are great for going at high speeds in the outdoors. The single-line wheel configuration makes it easy to maneuver when avoiding obstacles during your ride. But if you’re a beginner, you might want to check out quad skates instead if you want more stability.
Inline skates are making a comeback these days. Rollerblade is the brand that started the inline skating craze back in the day, and they’re still the go-to brand for many. Their Zetrablade skate is a good choice to start with. With a quick-release strap, easily adjustable, snug and supportive fit, these rollerblades are perfect for those looking for the more advanced, aggressive skater.
2. Quad Roller Skates
If you’re more interested in dance skating, rink skating, speed skating, jam skating, or roller derby, quad skates are the way to go. Quad skates are the “classic” skates you probably think of when you hear “roller skates.”
The arrangement of the wheels (two in the front and two in the back) on quad skates gives them more stability, making them a great start for beginners who might be struggling with balance. They’re also better for dancing, tricks, and filming TikToks on your cruise.
Quad skates are also more customizable than inline skates— you can swap out the trucks, wheels, and toe stop to create a roller skate that works best with your feet and skills.
Where To Buy Affordable Roller Skates
There are a lot of popular retailers that sell roller skates and all offer quality skates for reasonable prices. We’ve rounded up some of our top retailers to get you rolling in style.
Our reliable one-stop shop, Amazon has an endless selection of roller skates along with accessories. You can find very reasonably priced skates around $50 for adults and kids, and pricier limited-edition skates for over $300. The great thing about shopping on Amazon is the shipping is fast and you can also add some fun accessories like different colored laces and brakes to go along with your order.
Amazon Prime members can also enjoy “Try Before You Buy” where you have seven days to try the item and you’ll only be charged with what you keep.
Before placing your order, be sure to check the reviews and read up on sizing to ensure you get one that will fit well. Some brands may run small while others run bigger, and the reviews may have some insight into the sizing of the brand you want.
2. Foxy Skates
According to their website, the Foxy Skate Wicked Black Roller Skates, are “the best possible roller skates for both indoor and outdoor use.” With a chic-retro design, comfortable padding all around and adjustable fit — you’ll have no problem lacing up and hitting the road with these great skates.
Currently offered at 40% off of its retail price, these Wicked Black Roller Skates are only $69.99 on Foxy Skate’s website.
Tilly’s is a one-stop-shop for all things skating. Not only can you pick up a great pair of skates but with a wide selection of clothing, shoes and accessories, you’ll be sure to be riding in style.
Tilly’s Impala skate is well-renowned as popular, high-quality skate for cruisers of all ages. With an aluminum design, these skates are chic and lightweight for easy transportation. Tilly’s is offering their Midnight Quad Impala Skates for $69.99 on its website — but regular deals on different designs and styles are common.
Dicks Sporting Goods offers a wide selection of roller skates for all ages, genders and aesthetic. Their Women’s Cruze XR High Top Roller is the perfect beginner skate for those looking for a smaller size, and a clean design. This classic and comfortable skate features reinforced ankle support while the “silver 5-speed carbon wheels” and adjustable toe stop provide the control and speed you need to confidently get yourself rolling.
For a slightly cheaper purchase than other top competitors of similar quality, you can pick up a pair of XR High Top Rollers for $64.99 on Dicks Sporting Goods’ website.
Target offers a great selection of roller skates for all ages, sizes and skill levels, which is great for getting your family laced up and ready to roll.
- For kids: Check out these BubbleGum Bounce adjustable skates for added support, cute style and a wide selection of sizes to find the perfect fit.
- For the budget-conscious: If you’re looking to save a few bucks, you might consider buying the Roller Derby FireStarter Youth Roller Skates. For only $34.99, these skates come in a variety of two-toned colors and styles and will help your young skater feel confident on the road. These skates are available in blue, white, and pink with the option to add customizable light-up wheels or standard wheels
Opting for a cheaper pair of skates means that the tongue is not padded like more expensive pairs, so make sure you lace up tightly to provide good support for your ankles.
DollsKill offers some really classic, retro and ostentatious padding designs to customize your skating style with some skates on sale up to 50% off. While you’re at it, their Impala RollerSkate protective gear pack comes with elbow, knee, and wrist pads to keep you safe while you skate.
Aside from being a form of exercise, roller skating is a fun hobby to have to curb the cabin fever. As with any new skill, practice makes perfect. So lace up and hit the road this summer — you can explore cute parks in your area, check out skate parks, learn tricks, and really make the skating experience your own.
What Roller Skate Accessories Can I Buy?
When customizing your skating style, the possibilities are endless.
You can switch up your roller skate styles with a variety of accessories, including:
- Wheels: You can customize your roller blade wheels with different sizes, shapes and patterns to really spruce up your riding experience.
- Laces: Try out different shoelaces for your roller blades, including light-up shoelaces to make your skating endeavors feel like you’re at a rave.
- Skates Bag: You can find fun and eye-popping bags to store your skates for easy transport when they’re not in use. Bags for roller skates have a unique shape to keep your skates and accessories neatly tucked, like this adjustable shoulder skate bag.
- Protective Gear: Why not pair your new skates with a helmet and pads for your elbows and knees? You can find colorful and decorative safety gear to help you cruise safely in style.
After finding the right skate, helmet and space to skate, you can deck out your skates with some light-up wheels from MASHART. These light-up wheels are sure to catch the eye of strangers as you pass and will help keep you safe by illuminating your skates for low-light and night rides.
Roller Skating Safety Tips
Don’t forget about safety. While roller skating can be a fun way to spend the outdoors, there are always risks of injuries. Follow these safety tips to help ensure you skate safely:
- Wear a helmet: Helmets are essential in protecting you from any head injuries and any run-ins with pedestrians or other skaters. Make sure that your helmet is fitted and is strapped just tight enough so that it doesn’t get loose. Retrospec offers a lot of very affordable helmets for any skater and they regularly run sales on their most popular styles.
- Wear knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards: You’ll want to wear pads to cushion yourself against falls and prevent scrapes to your knees, elbows and wrists.
- Wear a mouthguard: Dental injuries can be extremely expensive and painful. A mouthguard can help protect your teeth in the event of a bad crash or fall.
- Skate in open spaces: Pick open spaces and avoid skating in crowded areas. Empty parking lots, tennis courts or any areas with smooth pavements are ideal to skate on.