Advertiser Disclosure: At Slickdeals, we work hard to find the best deals. Some products in our articles are from partners who may provide us with compensation, but this doesn’t change our opinions. Our editors strive to ensure that the information in this article is accurate as of the date published, but please keep in mind that offers can change. We encourage you to verify all terms and conditions of any product before you apply.Reading Time: 4 minutes
WarnerMedia has released yet another move simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max, and this time it’s a modern rendition of a classic cartoon. Tom and Jerry officially released on February 26th, and the film will be available on HBO Max at no additional fee through March 28th. The new film mixes animation and live-action to bring Tom and Jerry into the real world, and the movie has been a hit at the box office.
HBO Max includes content from tons of other WarnerMedia properties too, including HBO, DC Entertainment, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, CNN and more. With an HBO Max subscription, you’ll be able to stream Tom and Jerry at no additional cost.
HBO Max is still a relatively new streaming service, so there aren’t many deals on a monthly subscription, and unfortunately it no longer offers a free trial. However, keep checking back (or better yet, set up a Deal Alert), as we’ll be updating this page regularly as new deals go live. You can also read on for more information on what else the service has to offer.
What Is HBO Max?
HBO Max is a standalone streaming service featuring the entire HBO library, as well as content from a variety of WarnerMedia properties. It is the successor to streaming services like HBO GO and HBO NOW, but it includes much more content than either service provided. Like HBO NOW, HBO Max costs $14.99 a month and allows you to instantly stream content from the platform.
Where Can You Stream HBO Max?
Since the launch, HBO Max has expanded its reach and is now available on most streaming devices. Here are the compatible devices as of January 2021:
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV and Fire Tablets
- Android phone and tablets
- Android TV/Google Chromecast
- Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S
- PlayStation 4 and 5
- Samsung Smart TVs
- Xfinity X1 and Flex
What Shows Are Included with HBO Max?
Although HBO Max is priced the same as HBO NOW, the new service includes a vast library of movies and shows, including content from other WarnerMedia properties, whereas HBO NOW only had HBO content. In addition to HBO, the new streaming service hosts media from Warner Bros., CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, TBS, The CW, TNT, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Rooster Teeth, Crunchyroll and more.
All of these channels mean a whole lot of content. The one thing you won’t get with an HBO Max subscription, however, is access to live streams of those channels. This means it’s probably not the final solution cord-cutters have been waiting for, but you’ll still get access to tons of exclusives, like the Seth Rogen vehicle An American Pickle.
There have already been some big announcements regarding the HBO Max lineup, including the exclusive streaming rights to Friends and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Other fan favorites include New Line’s Lord of the Rings trilogy and Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty. HBO Max will also be the exclusive home of new CW shows like Batwoman and the Riverdale spinoff, Katy Keene. On top of that, upcoming WarnerMedia releases will premiere on HBO Max and in theaters on the same day.
Image credit: HBO
HBO Max will also prioritize original content in the form of Max Originals. Here’s a quick breakdown of some originals that have been announced or released so far:
- Lovecraft Country — Produced by Jordan Peele, J.J. Abrams and Misha Green, this series is an adaptation of Matt Ruff’s cosmic horror novel.
- The Outsider — An adaptation of the Stephen King novel by the same name. The project is co-directed by Jason Bateman and stars Ben Mendelsohn in the leading role.
- Raised by Wolves — A science fiction series following two androids as they raise a small group of human children on a distant alien planet.
- The Plot Against America — This project is based on the alternate history novel by Phillip Roth, and stars John Turturro and Winona Ryder.
- Dune: The Sisterhood — A companion series to Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming Dune feature film adaptation, with Villeneuve’s direct involvement announced.
- The Gilded Age — A historical drama from Julian Fellowes, creator of Downton Abbey. The series will be set in New York City in the late 19th century.
- Love Life — A new anthology series from comedy titan Paul Feig. Anna Kendrick stars in and produces this series.
- Tokyo Vice — A Max Original focusing on the Tokyo Police department and starring Ansel Elgort.
- Perry Mason — Robert Downey Jr. and Susan Downey are producing this reboot of the classic series, starring Matthew Rhys as Perry Mason.
- Made for Love — A new dramedy series from Patrick Somerville and S.J. Clarkson, based on the novel by Alissa Nutting.
- Gremlins — A new animated series based on the classic 1984 film.
- The Boondocks — HBO has ordered two new seasons of Adult Swim’s popular animated show, totaling 24 new episodes.
- Avenue 5 — A sci-fi comedy from Armando Iannucci, creator of Veep. The series stars Hugh Laurie and Josh Gad as voyagers on a space cruise.
- The Flight Attendant — A new thriller based on Chris Bohjalian novel of the same name. The series stars Kaley Cuoco.
- Station Eleven — Based on Emily St. John Mandel’s novel, Station Eleven is a post-apocalyptic mini series from Patrick Somerville and Hiro Murai.
- The Nevers — Laura Donnelly stars in this sci-fi project from creator Joss Whedon.
- The Undoing — Big Little Lies creator David E. Kelly made this tense drama starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant.
- I Know This Much Is True — This adaptation of a novel by Wally Lamb will feature Mark Ruffalo as a pair of identical twins, one of whom has schizophrenia.
Additionally, the following Studio Ghibli films will also be available:
- Castle in the Sky
- The Cat Returns
- From Up on Poppy Hill
- Howl’s Moving Castle
- Kiki’s Delivery Service
- My Neighbor Totoro
- My Neighbors the Yamadas
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
- Ocean Waves
- Only Yesterday
- Pom Poko
- Porco Rosso
- Princess Mononoke
- The Secret World of Arrietty
- Spirited Away
- The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
- Tales From Earthsea
- When Marnie Was There
- Whisper of the Heart
- The Wind Rises