Advertiser Disclosure: At Slickdeals, we work hard to find the best deals. Some products in our articles are from partners who may provide us with compensation, but this doesn’t change our opinions. Our editors strive to ensure that the information in this article is accurate as of the date published, but please keep in mind that offers can change. We encourage you to verify all terms and conditions of any product before you apply.Reading Time: 5 minutes
Target stores (and Target online) can be a weekly stop for many to stock up on everything from shampoo to home and sporting goods to clothes, electronics, food, and more — and you want to feel confident you’re getting the best possible price on your items.
But if you’ve ever spotted a lower price after a haul and been curious if Target does match other stores’ prices, then it will be helpful to check out the list of stores that Target will price match. This list includes retail giants and competitors like Amazon and Walmart, too. Read further to see our breakdown of Target’s price matching policy, how to do a price match and how you can request a price adjustment for an extra money-saving opportunity.
Target Price Match Guidelines and Limitations
The rules around Target’s price match policy include:
- Lower prices must be available at time of request: They also have to be able to verify the lower price at the other retailer, but they might not always bother doing so.
- Identical matches only: You can only request a match against an identical product.
- You can verify deals: Offers found on deal websites (like Slickdeals), will be verified on the retailers’ website.
- In-store price matches from other Target stores are excluded: For example, Target Express stores may not be eligible.
- Region exclusions: Alaska and Hawaii Target stores are excluded from price matching online competitors.
- Quantity limits: Target reserves the right to limit price quantities of price matches per identical item per guest for local and/or online competitor matches.
Target Price Match Exclusions
There are scenarios where Target won’t price match items from a competitor. They include more obvious ones like closeout sales, clearance items and liquidation sales, but also:
- Damaged or used items open-box or open packages, refurbished, pre-owned, or rent/lease to own items, storewide or category promotions, offers advertised as % or $ off, non-branded items, or prices that only display on a website after guests log in
- Price mistakes, doorbuster deals, deals using coupon codes, rebates, credit card offers, gift card deals, financing and service offers
- Contract mobile phone devices and the associated plans, optical, product services (warranties, assembly, etc.), clinic and pharmacy purchases and offers, or game reservations.
- Third-party retailers on Amazon and Walmart
- Select Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Cyber Week deals
- Cartwheel offers, registry coupons and Target gift card offers
Target Will Price Match These Online Stores:
- Bed Bath and Beyond
- Barnes and Noble
- Buy Buy Baby
- Dicks Sporting Goods
- Home Depot
- Office Depot
- Sam’s Club
You can read the entire Target Price Match policy online for the exact details on how Target price adjustments work and for any other exceptions. Something to keep in mind with price matching is that the size and quantity of what you’re buying have to be exactly the same. This makes warehouse stores such as Costco and Sam’s Club less likely to have products you could price match at Target since they mainly sell big quantities of everything.
How Do I Price Match In Target Stores?
Covering more than 35,000 items and 29 online competitors, such as Bed Bath & Beyond, Amazon, Walmart, Kohl’s and Macy’s, Target’s price matching policy makes it really simple to get the best price on your purchases. Here is how you do it:
- At checkout, you request a price match during a purchase or 14 days within the purchase date: The Target price match policy allows for a price match on a qualifying item found at a competitor. The item must be an identical product in order for Target to honor any price-match cost adjustment.
- Bring the entire printed ad, or show the online price or digital version on your phone: For after purchase price adjustments, you will need to bring the original receipts or packing slips.
- You can also use coupons when price matching but not Target Circle discounts: You can only use manufacturer coupons. The coupon will be applied after the price match has been made, and you can only do this in-store.
How Do I Price Match Target Online?
For online price matching, you have to call Target Guest Services at 1-800-591-3869, or use the Target customer service chat. They’ll have you place the order and make sure you get the difference refunded to you.
If you ordered something for in-store pickup, you can price match when you pick up your order to get your extra savings that same day to save you time going back to the store later for a price adjustment.
Does Target Offer Price Adjustments?
Yes. If you find a current lower price within 14 days after purchase, just bring in the proof in the form of an ad and Target will adjust your payment to the lower price, upon request. Target store price matches and adjustments are completed at the store on any lane.
Does Target Offer Price Matching On Black Friday?
Yes. Target will match select competitors’ prices within 14 days of purchase during Black Friday. In addition to this, Target purchases made between mid-October to the day before Christmas, December 24, are usually eligible for a price adjustment if the Target price goes down on or before Christmas Eve.
Can I Stack Coupons With a Price Match?
Yes and no.
You can use coupons when price matching, but only manufacturer coupons. The coupon will be applied after the price match has been made, and you can only do this in-store.
But Target Circle gift card offers (Target GiftCard, specialty and prepaid gift card), Registry completion coupons and Target coupons cannot be combined with price match.
Does Target Price Match Groceries and Produce?
Yes and no. The produce must be marketed under a specific brand name to be eligible for a price match – think Chiquita bananas.
Does Target Price Match Amazon?
Yes, Target does price match Amazon.com, both in-store and online. To price match an item, it must be identical in brand, model, weight, size, color, and quantity, and you must provide evidence of the lower price on Amazon.com.
Note: Target will not price match on third-party sellers on Amazon.
Have your eye on something special at Target? Set a Deal Alert now and our community of 12 million Slickdealers will alert you when it has the best price online.
If you’re looking for a more immediate discount, you can check out one of our most popular Frontpage offers of deals the Slickdeals community of 11 million users has voted to be the best online price right now: