Advertiser Disclosure: At Slickdeals, we work hard to find the best deals. Some products in our articles are from partners who may provide us with compensation, but this doesn’t change our opinions. Our editors strive to ensure that the information in this article is accurate as of the date published, but please keep in mind that offers can change. We encourage you to verify all terms and conditions of any product before you apply.Reading Time: 5 minutes
Decorating a new home or redesigning a room is a fun way to spruce up and personalize your space, but it can become expensive quickly. Furniture will likely be your biggest ticket item.
But fortunately, there are ways to stay within budget by looking for affordable, cheap furniture options. And cheap doesn’t always mean low quality. The truth is you can find cheap furniture stores online or track down budget-friendly prices or clearance items at brick-and-mortar stores near you.
Here’s our guide on where to get cheap furniture and how to find the best deals.
Best Places To Buy Affordable Furniture
There are countless furniture stores both online and across the country. It can be overwhelming knowing which stores are worth browsing and which are sure to break your budget.
To help, here’s a list of our favorite online and brick-and-mortar affordable furniture stores.
- Wayfair — Wayfair is a popular online retailer that offers a wide selection of modern furniture styles ranging from affordable to more expensive. You can find amazing Open Box deals, cute upgrades for your bathroom remodel and killer patio sets that are under $500.
- Overstock — Similar to Wayfair, Overstock carries a big selection of furniture, including designer brands and home goods at affordable prices. Everything from home furniture to accessories often go on sale regularly, making it easy to stock up on the pieces you need for your home.
- Amazon — Amazon is hit or miss when it comes to most products. Furniture prices that seem too good to be true, might be. We recommend reading the fine print and reviews to determine if the quality meets your standards. Luckily, most Amazon products come with a pretty generous return policy that covers furniture.
- Walmart — Walmart might be the most convenient brick-and-mortar store for buying affordable furniture. There are locations nationwide and their products are easy on the wallet.
- Target — Target is the go-to place for budget-conscious shoppers who want trendy and modern pieces of furniture at low prices. This retailer may be slightly pricier than its competitor Walmart but makes up for it in higher quality products.
- Ashley Furniture — Ashley Furniture is known as the more affordable option among big box furniture stores like Hom, Schneiderman’s, Boofka, Crate and Barrel and Room & Board. Ashely offers high-quality furniture at more budget-friendly prices.
- Dock 86 — Dock 86 is a discount furniture store aiming to “86” high furniture prices. The store offers furnishings for every room in the house and even the outdoors. Once in a while, you can often find items going on sale for up to 70% off.
- Ikea — Ikea has long been known as the go-to place for minimalist, lower-priced furniture, especially for college dorm rooms. Read descriptions carefully, as some furniture pieces can be more cheaply constructed than others.
- Home Goods — Home Goods is a fun store if you don’t mind scavenging for the perfect furniture piece for your space. Inventory is always changing and quantity is always limited. Scoring a unique piece at a great deal here is exhilarating!
- All Modern — All Modern is an online furniture retailer that focuses on, you guessed it, contemporary styles. It is owned by Wayfair, and some users compare its quality to Ikea, which can be hit or miss.
- Bob’s Discount Furniture — Similar to Dock 86, Bob’s Discount Furniture is a brick-and-mortar store offering big discounts on quality furniture.
How To Save Money While Furniture Shopping
Whether you’re shopping for furniture online or in-store, there are a few great money-saving tips to keep in mind. It doesn’t matter if you’re shopping for bedroom furniture, living room furniture, decor, accent chairs, coffee tables, or dining tables, these tips will help you score quality furniture at affordable prices.
1. Look for Overstock Deals
Sometimes retailers order too much inventory. Leftover, unsold inventory is known as overstock, and companies often slash prices to get rid of it. This is because they need to make room for new inventory that they can sell for a higher price. Overstock.com is, of course, one place to check for overstock deals, but other retailers offer deals on overstock items, too. Take Amazon, for example. Amazon Outlet has its own webpage specifically for special deals on overstock items.
2. Shop During Sales
Depending on what you’re looking for, it’s beneficial to shop for furniture at different times of the year. New styles of indoor furniture, for example, are stocked in the spring and fall. So right before the new inventory comes, retailers slash prices to get rid of old inventory.
To score the best deals on indoor furniture, it’s ideal to shop in January, February, July, and August. Sure, you’ll be shopping last year’s/season’s styles, but you’ll reap the benefits of a cheaper price because of it.
Then, there are holidays. We’ve all received those flyers in the mail advertising Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, President’s Day, and end-of-year sales. Furniture retailers do this because it’s typically a slow sales time as most families are out of town or busy celebrating holidays with family and friends. Take advantage of these annual furniture sales and you could see big savings.
3. Consider Buying Floor Models
You know those products on display at the furniture showroom? You can buy those, too! If you opt to buy a floor model, chances are you’ll get a discount because the product has likely already experienced some wear from store browsers. Find a piece in good condition, though, and it’s not much of a compromise for the price.
Some stores will also let you negotiate the floor models so you can score a sweet discount on top of the reduced listed price.
4. Skip the Warranty
If you shop in a brick-and-mortar store, you’ll likely have a salesperson trying to convince you that buying a warranty for your new piece of furniture is a no-brainer. While the idea of protecting your furniture sounds like a good idea, it’s likely not worth the money you’ll shell out for it.
According to the Insider’s Guide to Furniture, warranties provide salespeople with a big commission check and are more designed to protect the manufacturer and retailer from assuming responsibility for common, often expensive issues. Furthermore, paying extra for an extended warranty often voids the manufacturer’s warranty. Unless you have a chaotic household where furniture can easily be ruined or broken, save your money and skip the warranty.
5. Shop Second-Hand
Buying second-hand seems to be a trend that is gaining traction with younger generations, but it’s always been a great way to save money.
Consignment, thrift, and antique stores are excellent places to find previously owned furniture at affordable prices. Garage and estate sales can also be a fun scavenger hunt for one-of-a-kind pieces. Of course, there are also apps you can browse for the perfect furniture piece to complete your space. Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp, eBay, and Everything But the House are all popular apps for pre-owned furniture sales.
6. Set Up a Deal Alert
Don’t want to spend your nights and weekends browsing showrooms or scrolling the web for great deals on the perfect sofa, bed set, or dining table? Set up a deal alert that does the work for you.
Slickdeals allows you to set up a deal alert for specific items you’re looking for such as type of furniture, brand of furniture, or simply a feature of the piece you want. You’ll get notified when a deal is live. No need to spend hours searching for the best, affordable furniture when a website can do it for you.
Let the Furniture Shopping Begin
Now that you’re equipped with a list of affordable furniture retailers and the best ways to find great deals, it’s time to start shopping!
It doesn’t matter if you start by visiting stores like Ashley Furniture, Target, or Ikea, or you scroll through websites like Wayfair, Overstock, or Facebook Marketplace. It may take some time to acquire the perfect set of furniture to complete your space, but the savings will be well worth the hunt.